Friday, January 3, 2020

The Light shines in the darkness!


Symphony No 9 “Choral” by Beethoven

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it”
(John 1:5, NLT)

Greetings to you all in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ,

Did you enjoy the time of simple gift from God in the season of Christmas last year? Seems like it happened long time ago. However, as I look at the calendar, I notice that it was only a week ago. Can you believe that it is already a New Year? By the way, “Happy New Year everyone!” 

Now, we have a brand new calendar in front of us saying, “2020”. It looks very clean and crisp. There is nothing written on it yet, but I am so excited to make my calendar colorful and messy as I fill it, each and every day, to show I am breathing actively and productive! 

But I am wondering how I fill those days in my brand new calendar with my schedule for visitations, bible studies, meetings, seminars, retreats and phone calls and etc. The messier it looks, the busier I will be. It is the sign of the liveliness of my life between super active or lazy! And the busier I will be, the more I will be proud of myself. Why? Because I can show others my accomplishment. But I question myself, “Is that what I want for the New Year?”

Now how about you brothers and sisters in Christ? How would you like to fill your days in 2020? And as a church together, how do we want to fill our days in 2020 following Christ Jesus as One?

Like last year, there are lots of challenges waiting for us all throughout the New Year 2020. Believe it or not, 2020 is already filled with multiple challenges. We call it human reality! However, God wants us to fill those days differently pushing out those challenges every day in 2020. Are those days already filled with fears? Are those days already filled with doubts? Are those days already filled with depression? And what else? Resentment, despair, greed, anger, lust, envy and indifference? You name it - It is called darkness.

We know these fillings are not going away eternally but are constantly bringing us pain and suffering each and every day unless we fill them with a different one, the light.

One day, a rich man came and asked Jesus to fill him with a different thing, with the eternal one. Jesus answered him, “go and sell all your possessions and give it to the poor... then, come and follow me!” When the young man heard this, he went away sad because he had so much to give up. Jesus said to his disciples, “it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!” They responded, “No way Jesus! Then who in the world can be saved?” Jesus answered,

 “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible”
(Matthew 19:26, NLT) 

Brothers and sisters in Christ, Jesus clearly tells us, “With God, everything is possible!” Neither one thing nor some thing, but EVERYTHING is possible!” Why? Because with the light, darkness cannot survive at all - even any portion of it. And how can we receive the light? Just the simple action of opening our eyes! Then we will be able to see, “with God, everything is possible!” 

Join me again in this amazing journey of New Year 2020 to see how God pushes out the darkness in our days and fills them with the light through our simple action of deciding to open our eyes! 

Grace and Peace,

Pastor Kyochul


No comments:

Post a Comment